Monday, June 8, 2009

WHY IS THE FAT CATCHER TRYING TO STEAL SECOND BASE

So this weekend my family had a "family meeting''. we try to have these every so often to just see where everyone is, sometimes there are things we need to talk about but sometime we just talk about life. But during this meeting my brother...the really smart one for those of you who know my family...told us the following tale....

With his team down by one run in the ninth inning, a fat catcher get a bloop single. knowing that he has to get to second for even a chance to score on a hit to the outfield, he thinks the best thing would be to steal second base. although he team knows he could never steal second base. but the catcher does not listen to the wisdom of his team and tries anyway, getting thrown out trying to steal second base. his teammates are disappointed that he made the choice to try and steal, but they support him knowing that he was trying to help the team.

now this tale was meant for a sibling of ours. but i have been thinking about it for two days and have come to see that often time we are all the catcher. we make choices that are base on what we FEEL, going against the wisdom of those around us. the body of Christ is to support each other even when we make choices that are not made with wisdom. but some time we turn our back on those that make these choices. because it is easier to see when someone ELSE make mistakes, than to see when we fall down. we need to understand that we all are lost, broken, and sinners. yeah we can say that we understand that but do we really act like we have been saved from ourselves? do we act with compassion toward those who are not walking in wisdom? oh but if you are walking without wisdom, but dont listen to those who love you, you are at your own peril. you must be willing to have people in your life that are going to tell you the truth always, people that are not going to pull punches. be willing to have people tell you that you are totally messing up and you need to get your act in line! there is nothing better than having people in your life that always tell you the truth. i just want to thank sally for always letting me know what is up!

just some of my thoughts the last couple of days. let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

So, I read this last night and the story has been on my mind ever since. Except somewhere along the way, I started looking at it from a different angle.

I think so often I stand on first base and consider stealing second (and in this case, stealing second isn't a "bad" thing... just risky). But I start thinking about all the "what ifs" and worry that I'll fail, and then what will everyone think of me and so forth and so on. And so I lean toward second and then leap back to first as soon as the pitcher moves. I rely too much on logic, and faith requires me to step outside of my logic and trust God.

Anyway, thanks for posting this story! I always enjoy baseball analogies :)